Children of the Black Death
The City of Prague in the Children of the Black Death chronicle is almost historically accurate. The chronicle begins in january of 1349 shortly after the beggining of the construction of the New City outside the city walls of Prague but in this chronicle, the New City is almost complete, yet it still has not a wall surrounding it.
The map is also wrong in many points, like the location of Vysehrad but is still a good example of locations and distances. A more reliable map is from Topographia Bohemiae, Moraviae Et Silesiae will be used in the chronicle.
The City is divided in the following six subregions, or as the cainites say, domains. Most of them are controled by an Elder or Ancila but there are some exceptions such as the New Town.
Prague Castle and Hradcany
Place of the nobility of Praha, several of the higher clans have a haven in this domain.
Also known as Malá Strana, was founded by the King Ottokar II of Bohemia almosta a hundred years ago as a royal town. It was created by amalgamating a number of settlements beneath the Prague Castle into a single administrative unit. The original residents were expelled and mostly German craftsmen and merchants were invited by the king.
Recently Malá Strana was extended by the King and Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV
From its early existence, around 9th century, Staré Město was laid out of settlements which appeared from the spacious marketplace on the bank of Vltava. Records dating back to 1100AD indicate that every Saturday a market was held on the marketplace, and large military gatherings also took place there. Thanks to the trade the nearby area merchants became rich, and when the King Václav I gave them the privileges of township, the town of Město Pražské (the town of Prague) was formed.
A poorer section of the Old Town, many of the Low Clans make their havens here.
When Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV began to build the Prague Castle in its current dimensions in the early 14th century, the deteriorating castle Vyšehrad was abandoned as a royal home. Later the whole complex was renewed by Charles IV and new fortifications, with two gates and a royal palace were built, while the palace of Saints Peter and Paul awaited repair.
No doubt in connection with his coronation as king under the Holy Roman Empire in 1340, Charles IV decided to found a new city in Prague. After he had achieved the city’s independence within the church with the creation of the Archbishopric of Prague in 1338, the foundation of the New Town was intended further to enhance the status of the city which was the new residence of the king. In addition, the housing problem within the city walls of Prague that had already been apparent under Charles IV’s father John of Luxembourg was crying out for a solution. Many people, mostly poorer Czechs, had settled in suburbs situated at the base of the city walls, and the banks of the Vltava were almost continuously built over.